Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Warning: Actual Longarm Quilting Content!

The time has arrived and I stepped back to the machine today...it felt so good! This quilt has some serious issues which need to be worked out with the quilting. The piecer wasn't a beginner when she pieced this, but she had never made a quilt that was this challenging. She also taught herself applique with it. She had trimmed all of the quilt blocks when she realized that she trimmed them all to the finished size! So she added a narrow black border around each one.
None of the blocks seemed to fit in the way they should have. There is a lot of fudging on this quilt! While quilting the diagonal lines, I noticed that there are a lot of intersections that don't quite match up. She originally planned to hand quilt this, but decided her hand quilting skills weren't quite up to it.
It's not the most technically sound quilt that she has made...and she's made many since. But it is the one she's most proud of and I'm glad that I'm finally going to be able to finish it off for her...because she's me!

13 comments:

antique quilter said...

Oh Carolyn good for you !
the quilt is beautiful and I have to say that added little bit of black around those blocks looks well planned and wonderful!
Kathie in NJ

Melanie said...

Absolutely beautiful....

Gypsy Quilter said...

Indeed, that does look like a very challenging pattern. I've no doubt that the quilting will make it look exceptional. Can't wait to see a picture of the whole thing.

chook said...

I think it looks fab
Hugs Beth

Lindah said...

Beautiful quilt! I rather like the "narrow black border" around the blocks. I'm sure that must have been a part of the original design, wouldn't you say!

Vicki W said...

Great story - you had me on that one! Beautiful quilting on the quilt too!

loulee said...

The little we can see looks fantastic. Well done you.

Jeanne said...

It's beautiful! I think you made it even better with the narrow strips of black. Congrats on the great finish.

atet said...

Ya know -- sounds like that piecer is a special lady :0).

Elaine Adair said...

What an interesting way to introduce your quilter! LOL .. and you know what they say about mistakes -- the tiny black border makes the blocks ZING! It's beautiful!

Pam said...

I really like the way the black frames each block...makes them stand out a bit. Good job!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

Kim said...

Beautiful quilt! Is that one of Robert Callaham's designs? Either Grandma's Country Album or Grandma's Country Album 2? I have both those--got them when I first started quilting but still haven't made them!

Unknown said...

is that the Robert Callahan(sp?) pattern out of American Patchwork and Quilting?

I have one 'in progress'...at the moment my applique leasves a lot to be desired, but is really is a wonderful quilt.