Monday, October 15, 2007

I hate shopping...

Shopping has to be one of my least favorite things to do. Admittedly, shopping for yarn and fabric is fun, but for clothes? That's the worst! Last Friday morning, I decided to empty my drawers and closet and get rid of everything that didn't fit. I was brutal...when I finished, most of my drawers were empty and except for a few pairs of capris I bought over the summer and a pair of pants I bought 2 weeks ago, it was all packed into bags in the garage for DH to take to Goodwill this week. Back in April, I started going to Weight Watchers and I've lost over 20 pounds. I've gone from a size 12 to a 6 and from XL to M. I held onto a few big sweaters that I can wear over jeans. So, since I'm starting back to work next Monday, I NEED CLOTHES!

I have been all over South Jersey shopping and have only managed to come up with a few pairs of pants and 3 sweaters. Maybe it's me, but I really don't like the clothes that are out right now. Really, do we need to wear high waisted tops that make us look pregnant? Very cute on the younger, skinny girls, but I've been there and done that and don't want to look pregnant ever again! So, I'll be wearing my new, smaller pants and my big baggy sweaters for awhile! I don't want to invest too much because I intend to lose another 10 to 20 pounds.

Maybe I should knit a sweater? I finished the socks shown above on Saturday night. Within minutes of coming off the needles and having the ends woven in, my 13 yo daughter had snagged them and put them on her feet. Apparently she likes them. Yes, those are her feet in my new socks! I think I'll let her keep them. :o)

10 comments:

atet said...

What great socks -- and they look great on your daughter! But, considering the challenge your wardrobe has right now, um, maybe she should let you keep them! Good luck looking for clothes. I know I hate going clothing shopping as well -- but, well, at least you're shopping for smaller sizes :0).

tami said...

I love the socks. Those are adorable. Think you will ever get them back?
A huge congrats on the weight loss. I know what you mean about the clothing choices that are available. Who are they designing for anyway??

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a great looking pair of socks! Great job on the weight loss .... keep it up. I don't like shopping for clothes either so you have my sympathies.

sewprimitive karen said...

Congratulations on your weight loss, isn't WW the greatest? Yeah, those high-waisted pants are horrible. I like all the retro clothes that are around, though. Sad about your vanished socks :-).

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I'm in total agreement about the shopping! I have my favourite shop that only sells the basics and when I find something that fits I buy one of every colour! My SIL who loves shopping is in total dismay of my shopping skills...or lack there of.
The socks look great...aren't 13 year olds great for making use of our latest creation? My 13 year old grabs every new bag I make and then parades it at school!

Melanie said...

Congrats on the weight loss....I haven't worn a shirt thatmake me "look" pregant since I Was pregant... I know exactly what you are talking about.

Gail said...

Love the socks-your daughter paid you the ultimate compliment. At least tell yourself that while you knit another pair for yourself!

Darcie said...

Congrats on your weight loss!!! That's pretty terrific Carolyn! And you still don't like clothes shopping!?!

Darling socks. Yes...fabric and yarn shopping is so very different from other shopping...I agree fully!

Happy back to school days ahead for you!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I get my very favorite fleece jackets at Canadian Tire (I can't believe I love to shop for clothes at C.Tire!). Try LL Bean or Lands End for "normal" clothes. J.Crew is good for simple tops. And, I get almost ALL my pants from The Gap - low waist, but not so low as to embarrass myself, lots of lengths to choice from and different fabrics - from jeans to sort-ov dressy. I buy very few clothes, but these are the shops I consistently can shop from. NOTHING makes me feel frumpier than going to the mall and watching the 'tweens parade up and down and looking in the windows - and seeing absolutely nothing that even remotely interests me!

Good luck!

Cheers!

Evelyn

ForestJane said...

The sox look great, but... I think you'd better say goodbye to them... :)