Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cathedral Windows - finished!

I have a few days off of school this week and I'm trying to take full advantage of them! Today was my first day off. I was up by 6:30 and by 7 was watching the election results and working on the last few blocks of my cathedral windows project. I finished the center and then did a few other things, including loading one of my quilts on the longarm...one which I believe is destined to go to Quilts of Valor.

This afternoon I came to my sewing room and started auditioning fabric for a narrow binding. It only took about 45 minutes to decide on this...not that you can really see it! :o) The binding is now complete and I'm so happy to say this project is finished. I enjoyed making the blocks, but just can't imagine doing an entire cathedral windows quilt by hand! This will go on the little table in my foyer. My goal was to have it done by Christmas so I could use it after the holidays...guess that won't be a problem!

I have to thank Judy for her sock pictures. I haven't knitted in about 20 years, but now I NEED to make socks. Don't want to, but need to! I went to Michael's and AC Moore looking for sock yarn, but since I had no clue what I was looking for I came away empty handed. So I went to the Carodan Farm website which Judy recommended and managed to buy a few skeins of yarn and needles to start with. I wish they'd get here! Of course, as soon as I was done ordering I realized I could have gone about a mile from my house to the little yarn store and had some instant gratification! Oh well, I wouldn't have gotten anything else done if I had done that!

Now on to my next project...this week I quilted the tablerunners that I made in September, so binding them tomorrow's work...

Tonight I'm off to guild...haven't been there in several months!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knit sox too. Needles? I love my 5" wooden #2 needles. They grip the wool nicely so I get a really good tension. Have fun with your sox. Plenty of free patterns on the internets. /paula the_quilter at yahoo dot com

Shelina said...

Carolyn, your cathedral windows are so pretty. They are on my to-do list, but I think they just got bumped up much higher on the list. How smart of you to do a table runner than a bigger bedsize project. I think I am going to steal that idea!

Mary Johnson said...

The table runner is the perfect size project for Cathedral Windows!

I'm hoping to get some more work done on mine in the next couple months as I'll have time up in Minneapolis that I won't be have my machine. Of course, knitting has been taking up my time away from the machine lately and I still have a hat & scarf, shawl, and another sweater for Chesty that I've got yarn waiting to be knit.

May Britt said...

The cathedral windows are beautiful. I have not tryed this teqique yet, but I know my mother made it once. Did you do it by hand or by machine. I know it can be done both ways.

Anonymous said...

I love cathedral windows, but like you wouldn't do a large project. The table runner will look great in action :-)

KC Quilter said...

Wow, your Cathedral Window tablerunner turned out fabulous!!! So very pretty.

Darcie said...

Your Cathedral Windows are beautiful, Carolyn! You must be very pleased!

Sounds like you're putting your vacation time from school to quite good use. Good for you!

Do you think your daughter will pick up some knitting with you? Wouldn't that be fun!

Libby said...

I once toyed with the idea of knitting socks. Then I realized I have trouble with a simple scarf ... better leave the knitting to those who know what they are doing *s*

Pam said...

Would you look at that darling CW table runner....now how cute it that? I have always wanted to do a CW. My elderly neighbor did one and has it on her bed...oh it is wonderful! Good job!

Hanne said...

Very beautiful cathedral windows.

Anonymous said...

I really love the cathedral window!
I love that pattern, and it is more lovely in the fabric you used!