Friday, September 08, 2006

UFO Salvage

In my last post I mentioned that I had one true UFO. Here it is! I started this "Wedding Rings" quilt by Seams and Dreams, several years ago. I loved the one set of rings, but really didn't like the results when 4 of these rings of rings were set together. I set it aside...I'm sure you know how that goes!

I pulled it out the other day and decided to add a plain row of neutral squares to give it a border. Then I will add a border of Christmas Fabric and use it as a table topper. I looked at all the extra squares and half square triangles that I had made, and decided to make friendship star table runners for several women my husband works with. I went online and found this fabric for borders for the table topper and runners and it arrived yesterday. Hopefully soon I will have all of these done for Christmas!

My sewing time has been cut down...we started school on Wednesday. My assignment this year is as an assistant in a morning Kindergarten class. It's much different than the 5th and 7th grade classes I was in last year! I'm really enjoying the little ones, and I'm very grateful to come home to my older children! :o)

16 comments:

Darcie said...

That central area in your Wedding Rings is going to be a great place to show off some quilting, Carolyn! It's a darling wallhanging...I've never seen that pattern before.

Great idea for Christmas gifts! You're really on the ball!

dot said...

I have never seen this pattern before. Very intersting. I think your idea is wonderful. I look forward to the completed quilts.

Melanie said...

I'm proud of your success with the UFO--I know what you mean about coming home to your older children, teachers do have their hands full.

quiltpixie said...

your solution to your UFO is very creative. Way to go...

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I like that pattern for Wedding Rings - never saw it before! And the Friendship star table runners is a great idea for Christmas gifts!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Susan said...

Oh, I like the border - I want to see it all together!

Anonymous said...

The UFO will look great when finished. The fabric you've chosen for your table runners is just gorgeous!

Gail said...

Very creative way to handle something that you wind up not loving! I am eager to see the finished table runners and topper.

Angie said...

I have to chime in with the others and say that I've not seen this pattern before, but I really like it. And the friendship stars runners will be beautiful with that border fabric.

Cynthia said...

i like your Wedding Rings quilt. I also haven't seen it before. The fabric you have bought to complete that and the table runners is lovely.

Granny said...

Sounds like you've figured out how to get this UFO off the unfinished list and end up with some great gifts too! Good for you!

Judy L.

ForestJane said...

Ohh, the rings will look great as a table topper, especially with that christmas fabric on the bottom of your post. The stars work for runners too! Wonderful ideas!

Shelina said...

That is great that you have figured out how to salvage a UFO and get it off your list. Sounds like a great plan. I really like the block - I like the star pattern that is formed in the center. And I like how you used a wide variety of fabric for the background. I have a tendency to make my neutral squares too similar - and have been trying to buy fabric that will be more varied, like yours.

Judy said...

Perfect fabric for the christmas runners! The stash look sso nice and organized..good shelf!

Finn said...

What a good "save" Carolyn!! I love the newly revised plan for the blocks and the leftovers..*VBS* Excellent thinking and application..they will all be just great!! Hugs, FInn

Silverthimble said...

Wow, I am impressed - only one UFO! As I looked at the picture of your UFO, I was thinking how it would make a great wreath for Christmas. Then reading further, I see that you have bought some Christmas fabric for a border. Very nice! The gifts for your husband's co-workers should be nice too!