Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Getaway...

My husband and I snuck away this weekend, without kids, and headed up to Newport, RI. It was the most relaxing weekend I've had in years! You see, we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary in July. In conversation, we realized the only trip we'd had alone, since the kids were born (yes, my oldest is almost 18!) was a business trip to Toronto, where I picked up a case of strep so bad it took 3 months to get rid of it...and it totally ruined the weekend. It was time to get away...

On Friday morning, we got the girls off to school, then were off to the airport to fly to Providence. We picked up our rental car and drove to Newport. There is nothing like the smell of the ocean, bright blue skies and no one making demands on you for relaxation! We wandered around town (stopping frequently at Starbucks, of course!), drove along Bellevue Drive to see the mansions (even toured one of them), drove along Ocean Drive to see, well, the ocean, took a winery tour and tasting (THAT was nice!), shopped, visited a Harvest Fair at the Norman Bird Sanctuary and even found a little quilt shop to visit where I had to leave with a souvenier! We hated to come home and back to reality...so I'm just going to keep looking at the pictures of the adirondack chairs above and pretend I'm sitting in one!

On Sunday, before we headed back to reality, we had lunch at a wonderful restaurant and had a seat right next to the railing of their porch. We sat and ate our lobster salads while looking over the harbor, watching the sailboats come and go. This picture was my last view of the harbor before we left. I hope that it's not another 20 years before we can sneak away again! Yesterday was spent cleaning up the mess of the weekend, vacuuming, doing laundry and putting binding on a customer quilt. Today I'll be back at my long arm...which is where I should be now!

3 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Carolyn,
Oh I love your chair pic! And does your weekend away sound wonderful!

I too celebrated our 20th wedding anniv in Sept, but having 4 kids with busy schedules sure does make it hard to go doesn't it.

Your weekend sounds perfect! But the ocean always does it for me. So why do I live in the midwest? :)

Jen said...

Happy anniversary! Those getaways are so restoring, so glad you had a chance to go. What beautiful pictures, I could just imagine myself there. Jen

Finn said...

Carolyn, so happy you and DH had the chance to get away for time together without kids...*VBS* Very important..love the pics! Are you going to show us the souviner too..*G*