Friday, November 20, 2009

What was I thinking?


When Andrew moved to Vermont, I realized it was time to make him a new quilt.  I looked through some magazines, found a block I liked, played with it in EQ for awhile and sent him the results.  Then I moved on to making the blocks.  This is the result...so far!

I didn't anticipate that it would take SO LONG to make each block!  The nine patch centers were a breeze, and it really isn't a difficult block.  But the trimming of the hourglass blocks for the star points...THAT is taking forever!  I'm almost finished the blocks with the blue star points, which you see here. There are 48 of those.  Then it will be on to making the 35 blocks where the nine patches willl be blue and the star points will be red.  They'll be alternated with the blue.  I had high hopes of having this done for Thanksgiving when we head up to visit him.  Now I'm just hoping that I'll have it finished when we go up for Christmas!

Speaking of Christmas, do you use Pandora to listen to music? I decided to set up a station with all my favorite Christmas music, so I asked it for Andy Williams Christmas songs.  I spent a few hours listening to some fabulous Christmas music...Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, The Ray Coniff singers, Josh Groban, Harry Connick, and Michael Buble to name a few.  Give it a try...you get 40 free hours of music a month!

8 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

I am not sure what you were thinking but the quilt looks fantastic so keep going.........I LOVE it................

Carol said...

It is going to be one very awesome quilt!

Thimbleanna said...

All great things take a long time! It's going to be gorgeous!

joan said...

Hi carolyn,
Would you send me your e-mail address so I can let you know the name of your Secret Santa?
Thank you

sewprimitive karen said...

That's going to be beautiful. Those hourglassy guys are very time consuming for me, too.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Very pretty! If you don't like making hour glasses - you could maybe do the 9 patch, then a square in a square (the white triangles around the 9 patch) and then flying geese (I like the no-waste method) and just add squares on to the ends of 2 flying geese for each block. But even so - if you continue with the method you are using - it is a lovely pattern and I am sure that it will be a much loved quilt once completed! Cheers! Evelyn

KatesBlog said...

I haven't used my EQ in a looong time - I need to break that out again. I will try Pandora - thanks for the tip!

Ruth said...

I love that block and it will be a wonderful quilt! Did you mention Pandora a few months ago? Someone did and I set up an account, but then I forgot what it was called. I think I'll try it again!