Friday, January 06, 2006

Internet is back!!!


I'm a happy quilter today, our wireless internet connection is back! Our new router arrived yesterday and my son spent about 3 or 4 hours on the phone with various tech support people until he finally got it working.

This little quilt is one that I did several years ago and it hangs in my sewing room. It was a round robin...I made the center compass and appliqued the tulips and vines. It moved on from there. It's not a very clear picture, sorry about that, I should go take another one! I machine quilted it and it's one of my favorites.

I was reading Judy's blog about doing pantos and I have to admit, I'm panto challenged! I've done a few, but really have a hard time with them, mainly because I'm a migraine sufferer and the laser light gives me migraines. I also just can't seem to follow lines...does that make me maverick if I can't stay in the lines? LOL

I haven't had a chance to quilt in 2 days and I'm going through withdrawal. I've got a customer quilt to load on the machine, but want to vacuum the house first, so that's out of the way. I also pulled out a "Carpenter's Wheel" block that I had cut out when we lived in New York...ohhhh...8 years ago! I just cut out one and it's beautiful. I'm thinking of hand piecing it, but I've never hand pieced before. Are there any tricks I should know about, especially since most of it is diamonds and triangles and there are LOTS of bias edges to be sewn? I could also pull out my featherweight for this. I've had it for a year and a half and it hasn't been out of its case. :o(

I think I'll also make a dessert so my family won't disown me...

8 comments:

Marilyn said...

Carolyn,
I love hand-piecing! I have hand-pieced most of my Dear Jane blocks. There are a couple of books that have surfaced recently on hand piecing. The best instructions I've seen are in Linda Franz's Quilted Diamonds book. Even if you never plan to do any of the diamonds in the book, this is a great resource for hand piecing. Most of my hand pieced blocks have bias edges on a number of the pieces, and I have personally not had a big problem with stretching.

Even if you do decide to hand piece the Carpenter's Wheel, you need to get that Featherweight out and use it. My FW has had heavy use since I got it for Christmas 10 years ago. It is happiest when it is stitching something.

Marilyn
P.S. If you've read my blog about pressing seams open, I should tell you that I don't press them open on hand-pieced blocks.

Nancy said...

Hand piecing is actually easier to deal with a lot of bias than machine. It's easier to ease in a little extra fullness. My main tip would be to stop your stitching at the seam lines instead of going out to the edge of your piece. Take as small a stitch as you can and backstitch about every inch. I usually just load about an inch of stitches on my needle, pull that thru, backstitch, then load another needle load. And use as small a needle as you're comfortable with. I use a quilting 12 for everything except hand applique. Just can't get enough reach for needle turn with such a tiny needle.

Finn said...

So good to have you connected again Carolyn!
Love the little quilt you show today. And I think the block you mentioned would be ideal for hand piecing. My advice would be the same as Marilyn's and Nancy's. Take it gently.

Darcie said...

The quilt that you have pictured today, Carolyn, is just lovely! I wish I could see it in-the-fiber...it just is luscious!

I'm panto-challenged too! ;-)

Good luck with your Carpenter's Wheel...will you show us some progress pics, please!!!

Tracey said...

Carolyn, I *love* that quilt! Thank you for sharing it...VERY nice! :o)

Nines said...

Carolyn- You've had the featherweight for 1 1/2 years and it hasn't been out of the case? Oh Carolyn, that's just...sad. Here's hoping you get the dessert made, the carpet swept, the customer's quilt started AND the FW out of the box and you get plenty of play time!!

Lucy said...

I love your quilt . It is so spring! did you applique it by hand?
I sish I could machine quilt.Need to practise it . For now I am better in handquilting :c)

Lucy

Holly said...

I have never seen a round robin this pretty before. There's so much to see in this quilt that my eyes are constantly moving all over it to take it all in.