Thursday, September 11, 2008

New Life...

has been breathed into an old cabinet. Back when my mother was in nursing school, about 50 years ago, my grandfather made her this sewing cabinet. When she decided she no longer wanted it, I scooped it up and moved it to NY with me. It was covered with a wood veneer, which was peeling off, so I stripped it down, painted it white and for some reason, sponge painted it with a colonial blue paint. I guess because it went so well with the blue and mauve wallpaper in my sewing room? A very 90's thing to do...
Inside the cabinet my grandfather built all sorts of cool spaces for sewing supplies..thread holders, little curved drawers that swing out to hold buttons and what not, pegs to hold scissors and even little racks to hold patterns, which he carved out in the shape of scissors!


I decided it was time for an update. I'm going to be painting my laundry room cabinets black and decided to do a trial run on the sewing cabinet. Eventually it will have a little quilt on top of it along with a few odds and ends, but I have to make one first.

I even found great little knobs to complement the black...


And...yesterday was my father's birthday, so happy birthday dad! :o)

14 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a great little cabinet. I love family-made things. I have furniture that my husband refinished and I would never part with them for anything.

Ruth said...

What a treasure! It is really a wonderful cabinet and I love the black paint job.

Patti said...

Country log cabin quilter took the words right out of my mouth - I was all set to type "What a treasure!" So now I'll just say how lucky you are to have this wonderful cabinet, and what a beautiful new life you have given to it.

Libby said...

Such a treasure *s*

Barb said...

That's a great cabinet and I love the way you now have it finished down to the wonderful knob. That's a family heirloom to be sure.

Darcie said...

That is one fabulous piece, Carolyn! Looks like superb talent spans the generations!

Enjoy your weekend!

Anina said...

The color makes such a difference! And I love the knobs. Perfect!

Sweet P said...

What an awesome cabinet! Painting it black was a good decision.

furiousBall said...

WOW, that cabinet is awesome... hmm, i might need advice from you with restoring an old shiff robe that i have in my extra bedroom

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! What a keepsake! I LOVE the black!!!

swooze said...

The color is great! Nice job. love the inside.

Marla said...

Great cabinet. I'm jealous!

Jeanette said...

Black was a great choice, the cabinet looks awesome!

can't wait to see pictures of the laundry room now.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Fashions change, but classic pieces seem to weather paint changes just fine!!! Love the new look of your precious old cabinet! I wonder if in 20 years someone will say - oh, that was sooo early 2000's!, LOL.
Cheers!
Evelyn