Saturday, February 10, 2007

Finally!


I feel like I've been working on these socks forever! The first sock was done before Christmas and I had hopes of having them done to wear on Christmas day. I'm happy to say they are finally done...in time for Valentine's Day! I'll wear them to school on Monday, we're having pajama day in Kindergarten, so it will be a fun day to wear them.
I did make it to the quilt show today and it's made me think. I was definitely underwhelmed by the quilts I saw there. It was a local show, but it seemed that many quilts were just large chunks of fabric thrown together and the machine quilting paid little attention to the style of the quilt. There was one beautiful basket quilt in 30s fabrics that was hanging upside down and the quilting on it was almost jarring to look at. There were, of course, many beautiful quilts as well and I enjoyed seeing them. It was almost impossible to take pictures because the rows of quilts were very close together. My DH and I were there for less than an hour. This show has made me consider the quilts I make and whether I'm just making quilts to use up stash or if I'm actually putting thought into the pattern. I love intricate quilts but they take a lot of time to make. Do I want to put that effort in? I know that I do, but often compromise for the sake of time. Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on quantity over quality. I'll have to take all of this into consideration when I choose the next quilt I want to make! I still love the classics, which are simple blocks. I also love the string quilts we're making for Heartstrings. But I wonder if I really want to make more quilts that have you slice fabric, then put it back together with no matching seams and intersections. This could take me in a whole new direction...

7 comments:

Tazzie said...

Hey there Carolyn
Your socks look wonderful, don't you just love the self striping yarn! Great job!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Unknown said...

The log cabin blocks are coming along nicely. I love your socks, too. I would like to try my hand at making some, but have never tried. A few sweaters...but no socks.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about the big blocks/pieces of fabric just sewn together. Sometimes it is nice to just make something fast, but who says all quilts need to be done that way? I was noticing in some catalogs too that the quilts are just big squares of fabric. I enjoy piecing and so enjoy taking the time to make the blocks.

Rebecca

YankeeQuilter said...

Thank yo for your comments on the big block quilts! One of the folks in my beginners quilting group brought in a photo of one and said that she wanted to make that. I don't have a problem with that if you need a quick quilt but it is not the way to learn to quilt! I admit to jumping back and forth from a quilt that takes a lot of time and those that just run through the machine...as long as I know the difference I'm OK with it.

Meredith said...

I was there and I agree. My husband was really quite funny as he walked around saying his quilt review out loud. It was very funny to see his reaction to the quilts.

Judy said...

Carolyn, I agree with you.. some of the quilt shows I've been to lately have left me unsatisfied. Nothing has jumped out and made me go WOW!! I enjoy the simple quilts that are fast and easy, but in the long run, I think the harder, more beautiful ones are the ones that make me happiest. Your socks are cool! I can imagine what the little ones will say when they find out you made them!

Shelina said...

Nice socks - a lot of people seem to be making them lately.

I too go back and forth between making quality quilts vs quantity. It just feels so good to have something finished, that I like to make quick ones - but once I do, it makes me feel bad that I didn't take the time to make an intricate one. I guess I need both in my life. As long as the simpler ones don't keep me from finishing the more complex ones.