Friday, July 27, 2012

27 Years



27 years ago I married this guy.  I hadn't known him very long...he transferred into my high school at the beginning of senior year. I had one class with him in high school, thought he was kind of a jerk...quite full of himself!  I never gave him a thought until Valentine's Day that year when he stood at the door of our English class and handed out little kid Valentines and candy hearts to all the girls walking into class...including me.  It seems he hadn't had much luck in dating after he transferred and hoped this would get him a date or two.  It got him plenty of dates...but not with me!

Fast forward to our 5 year reunion, in November of 1984.  I attended with a very good friend, who happened to be friends with Lee.  I was catching up with old friends, dancing and have a good time..and then he asked me to dance.  We danced a few times, the night wore on and the reunion came to an end.  Afterwards we all decided to go to Denny's and get something to eat.  Lee was invited along, just because he was there when we made plans. When it was time to leave Denny's, I gave everyone a big hug, except for Lee.  After all, I didn't really know him!

The next day he called and asked me out.  We went out that night in early November and that was all she wrote...on New Year's Eve we got engaged and got married that July.  What a whirlwind it was!  Later he admitted that he really wanted to go out drinking after the reunion with some other friends, but decided to come to Denny's with us so he could get my number. 

We've had our ups and downs as all marriages do, we raised 3 wonderful kids, and now we're getting ready for the next chapter of our lives...the empty nest.  It won't be completely empty since Grace will be back from college on breaks and for the summers, but it will be so strange to have just the two of us rattling around in our house.  I'm looking forward to the next 27 years...and beyond! 

Happy Anniversary, Lee...I love you!

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy anniversary! sometimes the short courtships are the ones that last - I got engaged after 2 weeks and married at 7 weeks - celebrated our 40th in June :)
Karen

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! Happy Anniversary! With three great kids, it can't be all bad, right?