Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Taking a Break...




Today I've taken a break from the sewing machine, but it wasn't until AFTER I finished all the churn dashes for my new quilt. This evening I plan to cut the alternate squares and get going on piecing the rows. This morning I took my daughters and one of my older daughter's friends into Philadelphia. This was a huge accomplishment for me. I'm not comfortable in the city, although over the past few months, as we've gone there more often, I'm getting better. Except for a few times between high school and college (I worked at a hotel in Philly as a temp then, and went in under great duress!), I've NEVER gone into the city by myself. Now, I know that Philly is not nearly as imposing as New York City (you should have seen the wreck I was when I had to go there myself! Hail a cab??? I had to have a native do it for me!), but to me a city is a city. They're all intimidating.

So, today we headed to the Speedline Station and got on the train to go to 8th and Market Streets. We came out of the train station and walked over to the stop for the Philly Phlash, which is a trolley which takes you to various points around the city. We took that to the Rodin Museum (second picture). After going through the museum (which is small, but so interesting!) I went out front to take a picture of "The Thinker", his famous statue. Of course, the trolley was getting ready to leave, so I didn't get the picture, just got on the trolley.

We took the trolley to Christ Church, which is the oldest Episcopal Church in the country and was the seat of the Episcopal religion in the colonies and as the country grew.

It was our national cathedral until they built THE National Cathedral in Washington DC. After hearing a little of the history, we wandered through the church and grounds. The we walked up Market Street to the Bourse building for lunch. From there we walked past Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell and made it back to the train station to head home. I was so proud of myself for overcoming my fears (which my family just laughs at!) and going into the city with the girls...it was such fun.

I had such a good time that my youngest and I are thinking about taking the train to the city, then the trolley to the Art Museum where we can pick up a trolley to the Philadelphia Zoo. We both want to see the new big cat exhibit...maybe next week!



13 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Good job! Sounds like your new found bravery was rewarded with a fun day! I would like to visit Philly some time.

Katie said...

Great tour. I love to travel. Make good memories with your girls.

Linda C said...

train and trolley might be just the ticket if you don't want to chance the drive in. I feel the same way about driving in Birmingham and Nashville---white knuckle driver.

quiltpixie said...

sounds like you had a great time...

Melanie said...

Hats off for your adventure...it sounds like a wonderful time....
Melanie

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

One nice thing about cities is that they usually have very good public transportation and after you get used to the system it is fairly easy. It sounds like you are becoming more comfortable with it (just avoid the 5 pm crush). Yes, I would say a 2nd trip into the city to go to the zoo would be great fun!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Susan said...

You were right to take the train. I drove last April and the traffic in Philly was horrendous! The streets are so narrow and people park right in the middle to make deliveries. It was a zoo. But I wanted to see the Ben Franklin exhibit. =) Congratulations on taking the girls and going!

Eileen said...

Good for you that you're able to just make up your mind and do it. I love NYC, but I hate to drive there. I prefer the train anytime.
The last time I was in Philly, I think was the 7th grade, and I've always wanted to go back. Didn't know they have trolleys to take you around to all the sights. Maybe next summer.
Thanks for sharing your trip.

The Calico Cat said...

Good for you!

Shelina said...

I'm glad you found the courage to see how fun traveling can be. I can understand the fear, and found it a really big deal to drive on the freeway to go to the Renaissance festival with my daughter. I was really proud of myself even though nobody else saw what a big deal it was for me. It is nice to see what you can accomplish once you overcome your fears.

Cynthia said...

Your Churn Dash blocks look good.
Sounds like you enjoyed time in the city.

Mary Johnson said...

Philly is on my list of cities I want to revisit. I was there for a quick visit a couple years ago - a family wedding but I'd like to go by myself and explore. My Dad was from Philadelphia and I still have family in the area.

ForestJane said...

Those blocks look great! From the picture of them all laid out, I think yours is going to be a big quilt... lol

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the city!